In every building, the bigger and more complex the system, the more it’s necessary for it to have Building Automation Systems(BAS) installed.
Automation plays an important role in the Building System. It can provide secure, trouble-less and comfortable management of facilities. It is the creation of technology and its application in order to control and monitor the production and delivery of various goods and services, with the use of wired buses or wireless broad networks, which connect to high-level controllers. It is implemented through the combination of hardware and software-based solutions that automatically execute and manage repetitive network environment processes. Each controller automatically provides a Internet Protocol (IP) address that communicates to other systems and devices. It allows BAS to cross industry boundaries and interface with a wide variety of other systems. Allowing separate systems and groups of components to share the same set of wires. This reduces the overall cost of installing and maintaining several systems
Advantages of IP Based System
- IP-based control does not tie you to an individual supplier. It is flexible in nature. It can communicate to other systems regardless of its brand. Devices connected to an IP network are capable of being interoperable with other IP-connected devices. It does not require the elimination of existing controls throughout a building. A good IP-based system can talk to backward compatible, or previous-generation, equipment – regardless of any protocols it was used.
- Real Time Notification. Because they’re connected to the network, IP-based systems can send you alerts, when it detects potential problems, changes, etc. Using the Mass Notification System/MNS thru different notification devices such as speakers, digital signage and sirens. It can also be connected to the internet or any cellular devices sending alert thru text messages, calls or emails.
- Easy Maintenance. When an IP-based device goes down, it’s easy to perform troubleshooting or maintenance on that device without needing to take the entire system offline or waiting until off hours. In most cases, there’s no need for a middleware device; connections are created directly between the field device and the enterprise network.
- Cost Optimization. IP-based controllers are able to use multiple protocols – such as BACnet, LonTalk, N2 – to connect to other devices at the field bus level or at the enterprise level. This interoperability preserves the investment that has been made in the control system. Expenses are further reduced because no middleware or gateways are required to communicate across the network.
In this article we will give you guides and ideas on what to include in your building, either it’s for an initial plan or an upgrade after you’ve installed your BAS using an IP network.
IP using BACNET protocols
Building Automation and Control Networks(BACNET) is the control industry’s new pre
ferred communications protocols, allowing systems to talk to each other over a network, like Internet of Things (IoT) technology. It is a collection of one or more IP subnetworks (IP domains) that are assigned a single BACn
et network number. Connecting to an Ethernet running the IP protocol is more convenient. IP network is the quickest way to gain access to the Internet which is the world’s wide-area-network (WAN).
IP based system using POE Technology
Power over Ethernet (POE) is a technology that lets network cables carry electrical power. It can help you make the most of IP-based systems and devices. Allows you to use one cable to transport data and power instead of two separate wires/cables: one for electricity and one for data transmission. Carrying both through one cable offers many benefits for digital buildings that utilize IP-based systems.
Building system that can be an IP-based
- Mechanical and Electrical
- Heating Ventilation and Air conditioning systems
- Electronic Access Control
- Safety Systems
- Video Surveillance/IP Camera
- Void Phones
- Wireless access points (WAPs)
- Fire Alarm System
- Audio Visual Systems
It is important to understand IP networks and its implication in Building Automation systems, it can give comfort through means of accessibility, cost efficiency and reliance. It is indeed an era of information technology. IP is everywhere, considered as universal standards and opens up possibilities that will attract not only the interests of the building manager but the facilities manager as well. Making the most out of the Internet of Things in Building Automation.
We value your comments and suggestions. Feel free to write up in our comment section. For any inquiries about the Building Automation Design Services with IP network, please contact us or click to connect, we are glad to assist you.
- https://books.google.com.ph/ -Smart Buildings Systems for Architects, Owners and Builders by James M Sinopoli